Pre-Bedtime Snacks to Help You Sleep Better
Helpful tips to get to sleep and stay asleep
We’ve all heard how important getting 8 hours of sleep is for our health. When we sleep, our brain signals our body to release hormones and compounds that help boost our immune systems, improve cognitive abilities and decrease risks of adverse health conditions. Everyone knows that late-night snacking can pack on the pounds, but it can be challenging to get a good night’s sleep when you are feeling a little hungry. Those low-calorie pre-bedtime snacks will not only settle your nighttime cravings but may help to promote more restful sleep.
1. A Banana. Bananas are full of magnesium and potassium which many people think of as natural muscle relaxants. A banana contains just over 100 calories and less than half a gram of fat.
2. Turkey. Who hasn’t felt sleepy after a Thanksgiving dinner, and no, it isn’t because of overeating. It is due to the high levels of naturally occurring tryptophan in turkey. A 1 oz slice of turkey has 54 calories and just over 2 grams of fat but provides almost a fifth of your daily recommended protein.
3. Almonds. A handful of almonds is an excellent source of fiber and nutrients like manganese and riboflavin. Almonds also contain melatonin that some studies show can help to promote deeper sleep. Stay away from the salted variety and avoid eating almonds every night because one ounce has 164 calories and 14 grams of fat.
4. Kiwi. The sweet and tart flavor of kiwi is a favorite, but who knew it was so healthy? At only 50 calories per fruit, you get over 100 percent of your Vitamin C daily recommendation. One sleep study showed people who ate two kiwi fruits before bedtime fell asleep faster and slept throughout the night.
5. A Glass of Warm Milk. This old standby actually works. Milk has both tryptophan and melatonin. It is also a good source of calcium. At just over 100 calories per serving and zero fat per cup, milk is a good option to help you catch some z’s.
Getting enough rest and reducing high-calorie snacking is a great way to increase your overall fitness, but if you are looking for a way to jump-start your battle of the bulge, LipoSculpting from PureSculpting can help. LipoSculpting is a less invasive alternative to traditional liposuction. Call 904-513-4340 to learn more or visit our website.